07 September, 2007

Bonnie Runs

video

And Bonnie speaks - this is after the diesel purge, but before the valve adjustment.

My Valve Adjustment wrench

My attempts at making one of the valve adjustment wrenches. I happen to own a chiminea, where I heated a Craftsman tool. The Craftsman is a long one. After heating, I put into a vise and bent by tapping with a ball peen hammer.










Here's how he turned out - we'll test tomorrow.

21 August, 2007

And one more

BenzBoz Pre-Owned Mercedes Parts is a great Ebay parts seller. Not only does he have stuff properly labeled, he gets it out fast - faster than a lot of places. I've gotten a driver door window regulator & motor before - I paid for on Wednesday, got it on Saturday. And, at the time I needed it. THe mailman came, and I just had the old one out. But, I still had my lemonade break.

Another new friend

We have another one in the form of a Mercedes 126 enthusiast - www.mbw126.com. He has one heck of a video on rebuilding an AC compressor. HH is a real cool guy, and is going to list more!

A new buddy

Bought a door from a real nice guy last week, Mr. Ray Petty, who sells on Ebay but you can also contact via his web site . He is super nice, and will tell you what he has. He doesn't run a store front, just what part do you need, etc. Can't say enough about him.


Houstoneuropean.com

14 August, 2007

The light at the end of the tunnel

OK - more progress. Last night, we got her out of the garage. The transmission bushing clips are installed. Charles had to take her around the block a couple of times, to get the radiator/cooling system flush to circulate. He got to drive her. He said it felt good. The speedometer works. We finally got her started by shorting across C105. Had to use a lot of starting fluid. It took quite some time, but I bled the fuel injection system. Finally got the priming pump to move, and the ends of the injectors cracked open. Tha 17mm wrench fits tight. Found out that we can pull her off just like a John Deere tractor. We drained the radiator, and got a lot more crap out. The water was red initially, so it may need some more flush. For this one, I think we'll use the Mercedes citrus flush. We got hte instrument cluster lights yesterday, along with the new flasher relay.

This morning, she left for the body shop. Hopefully, we can get the door closed soon.

07 August, 2007

More Progress!!!

OK, more sweet progress - we're cooking now. First, we did the Lubri-Moly purge of the injectors.



Here's the temporary line hooked up to the inline fuel filter.









Here's the return line from the spin-on fuel filter.









I used a 2 liter Diet Coke bottle as the purge material container. This probably was not one of the uses considered by Del Meyer, the inventor of polyethylene terepthalate. But, it worked. For the 300SD, I used 4 feet of 1/4" hose. I cut it in half. If I did it over again, I'd used 2 1/2 feet for the feed, and 18 inches for the return.





Here is the fluid, shortly after starting turning a bright red. Shortly after this, the smoke from the exhaust cleared, and the engine purred.










Here we are near the end, showing a brilliant black, and also a side shot of the AC drier, something I need to soon replace.









A few minutes after the purge, I looked at the gauges. The tach was still not functioning, so I cleaned the contacts, then hit them with a little white lithium grease. The tach showed a smooth 750 rpm.







The fuel tank gauge worked nice, the oil pressure gauge indicated 4 bar (which I need to check), and the temperature showed 50 degrees C. THe most important thing, the gauges were working.







Also on the night's activities was the replacement of the air cleaner mounts. This got done as well.








An undershot.